The advent of internet made it possible for businesses to go global. The worldwide web acted as an information highway that is loaded with different business opportunities. Even the once traditional way of trading and buying stocks now uses the full advantage of the internet. Thus, gone are the days when a stock investor will call his broker and place his through phone. Through the help of the Internet investors can buy and sell stocks through his online brokers.
So, when a friend told me to try my hand in trading, I know that I should not rely on luck. Luck has got nothing to do with how I earn or loss money in trading. Rather, it is how I choose the right online brokers.
Pointers in choosing your online brokers
Conduct a proper research. Knowing the pros and cons of your online brokers will help you decide on what online brokerage firms you will employ. Know if your online brokers have a good number of investment tools like:
- Range of its research tools
- Range of its financial services
- Range of its investment products
- Availability of mobile applications and access
- Required minimum opening balance
- Rate or percentage of commissions that the online brokers will deduct
- Availability of customer service
- Technology or features for international trading
- Other special features and services
Some online brokers may have all the features from items 1 to 4 but it require a higher minimum opening balance as compared to other online brokers. While some may have lower opening balance, yet its other features are not attuned to what you need. So, find time to study and compare the pros and cons of at least 3 to 5 online brokers. With proper research, you will arrive to a sound decision as to what online brokers you should choose. This way, you can conveniently buy and sell stocks with lesser risk.
- There is no such thing as being too careful in knowing your online brokers. So, ask around if the online brokers are licensed within your state. Remember that you will be entering the game of trading which could give you great earnings or you could also loss great amount of money.
- Understand the risks and advantages of employing online brokers as compared to having a trained broker. A trained stock broker can give you sound advices and could present different investment scenarios on the movements of stocks while with the online brokers, you will be using the different investment tools to help you decide on when to buy and sell stocks. This is generally the reason why the fees of online brokers are practically lower than the fees of investment advisors. It is also the reason why online brokers are called discount brokers.
So, if you will highly consider the pointers on how to choose online brokers, it will be to your advantage. However, finding the right online brokers is not enough reason for you to immediately buy and sell stocks.
Deciding on the online brokers is only the first step but secondly, you must also research on the company or companies where you will be buying the stocks. Know the financial statements, business sector that the company belongs to and the type of business that the company is into.
Lastly, equip yourself with the proper tools on how to predict interest rates or on how to read the market so to say. Once you learned all these things, along with basic portfolio theory and diversification, then you are on your way to build your stock portfolio, and earn big bucks too.